Fathers be good to your daughters...

...

It's something I tell my children daily - be careful of what you say. It's not what you say, but how you say it. Words have such a great impact, as well all know. They can litterally make us or break us. They can take us to the top of the highest peak or they can send us spiraling into the deepest ravine.

I encourage my kids to speak up and speak what's on their mind. I encourage them to be individual and unique. I encourage them to have their own thoughts and beliefs. They do not need to see the world through my eyes, in fact I would prefer them not to. My daughter, who has always been outspoken (Gee, I wonder where she gets that from!) has formed her own opinions of the world around her. Her world is still small but so far, at 14, she is not conforming to what society and others believe in. I love this! It makes me so very proud. I encourage her to speak her mind and the truth. We often have debates and discussions. And we often don't see eye to eye. But I recogninze and take value in the fact that these are her opinions and beliefs and that her opinions and beliefs are every bit just as important, if not more so, than my own. I encourage her to speak up, to take a stand, to speak her mind and her voice. I encourage her to be herself. I want her to be strong and self confident. And yes, I encourage her to talk back at me - not in a disrespectful way, mind you. Respect is important. Respect is huge. I demand respect. I expect respect. My children must respect me, their mother and they must respect each other. They absolutely must. So even when they are in a heated battle or fighting about something positively rediculous, they must, in the end, handle themselves with respect. Grace and dignity are important too, but they are still young. They will get there. They absolutely will get there. In the meantime they need to learn that it's important not to always have the last word. Sometimes they need to swallow their pride. It's an important skill in life. As is saying, yes, I see your side, even if you don't.

My children aren't perfect. They are far from it, but they are good and kind and caring children. The are sensitive and full of love. And just as children are apt to get, they get heated and passionate. And angry with eachother. Very angry. I encourage them to work things out amongst themselves and in the end they do. Sometimes I need to step in especially when hitting or pushing come into play. And when the screaming and negative talk come into play. I will tolerate my children standing up for themselves but I will not allow them to belittle one another. No way now how. Choose your words wisely, I tell them. It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Truthfully, I've never really experienced the negative and hurtful impact that words can have until I was married. As a child I was reprimanded for wrong and criticized often. However, words were chosen wisely, so that while I was being criticized I never once felt little, small, or badly about myself. The words were spoken in such a way that they were used as tools to better myself. I never once as a child or teenager felt worthless or little. Of course we all have our insecurities and we will have them until we die. It's a part of human nature. Hopefully as we grow we learn to handle them better and turn those insecurities into positives. Society puts so much pressure on us as women and on girls as teenagers that as parents we are obligated to reinforce their positives and there are indeed so very many.

But teenagers are different and difficult creatures. Hormones and society are major influencers over their thoughts and emotions. We can teach them to control them to a certain degree. In some instances I think that  sometimes my daughter speaks before she thinks. I think we've all done it and sometimes, if by accident, still do. I understand that my daughter will often blurt out. I understand that she gets frustrated. I understand that she can come off as having an attitude. But I also know that she is a wonderful person with a big heart. As I try to navigate the often choppy waters of parenthood, I try my best not only to do the right thing, but also, and almost more importantly, to be there for my children and love and nurture them unconditionally. Unconditionally. Life is hard. There are many battles to be fought and won. My child is not my battle. She is my miracle. My wonder. My everything. I may not agree. I may not see eye to eye. I may not like her behavior, but I will always love her and I will ALWAYS let her know that no matter what she is loved. Completely and unconditionally. Parenting is not a game. It is the most important job we can ever have. I have screwed up a lot of things in my lifetime, and I will be damned if I will screw up my children.

It took a marriage therapist to point out to me that I was in a marriage where my spouse was verbally and emotionally abusive. I won't go into more detail. It's not important. What's important is that I am out and trying to regain my positive self image and self esteem. I am working diligently at not second guessing myself and my actions... telling myself that No, I am not wasting time... and that what I am doing does indeed have meaning and value. And the sad thing is, is that it's taking someone else to show me that I have value and that I am strong and creative... And as I listen to this amazing person tell me this I wonder why it's so hard for me to accept and see... and then it dawns on me, my daughter is getting the same message I did. We talk about it openly and candidly. And she is so sad, so terribly sad and there is just so much that I, as her mother can do. Unfortunately the power of negativity has more impact than the power of positivity. I try to step in. I try to act as a mediator. I try to get both to see eachother's side, but it's not working. Instead I'm told to back away and not to meddle, not to offer parenting advice as it's not needed. This saddens me because in my opinion - which is just one opinion - it is needed. I have a very sad 14 year old who just wants approval and love from both parents, and, right or wrong, she is convinced she is only getting it from one. We need to handle our teenagers with care. They are delicate creatures. Fragile. They break easily. I'm so very affraid mine is so close to breaking.

The reason I sought the divorce was because I couldn't take any more. I couldn't go on one more day knowing that everything I did or said would be met with anger, opposition and criticism.I had no support. I was on my own left to my own devices. I was sinking and no one was there tossing me a life jacket. So I had to gather up all my strength and swim to the side and pull myself up to safety. Because as important as my children's happiness is to me, mine is as well. I gave my all, and still do, to my children, but I need to take care of myself too.

And so last night as I am trying to calm and soothe my daughter with the aid of smart phones and texting, my written words could hold no candle to the negativity and sadness that was going on over there. And then, for the very first time, I questioned my decision to divorce. I thought, if I could only turn back time, I would be there and she would be happy. Let me take the verbal punches, she shouldn't have to. I'd give my life for my own children and now, I can't help feel as though I've selfishly sacrificed theirs for mine...

I didn't sleep much last night. The reality of looming health issues are taking a toll on me... but worse is the knowledge that my daughter was keenly aware that her own father kissed her brothers goodnight but not her. Such a small act has such a profound and ever-lasting effect. I so worry about her and her future. Have we ruined her? Have I ruined her? I can't interfere. I've been told as much. But my advice to you all out there, especially fathers... be good to your daughters... You hold their futures in your hands. It's powerful stuff.

Please click on the link and listen to this... 

I've stepped out of my comfort zone here... but I had to.

XOXO,


Jessica

Comments

  1. For a girl her father is the first "man in her life" he is her rock, her strength, and someone she can always count on. I don't know where I would be without my dad always cheering me on ! Now he has done the same for my 3 kids...he loves and adores them and their relationship with him is so loving and pure (sorry to leave out my wonderful mom but this is about fathers). Anyway you write beautifully here Jessica keep talking to your daughter...you are a WONDERFUL mom and thank god you pulled yourself ashore ! You did the right thing , don't look back keep looking ahead ! xoxo L

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lizbethinpearls from Twitter, BTW :)

    This made me ache inside in so many ways. I grew up with a family member (not one of my parents) who was verbally/emotionally abusive; from age two I knew this person did not like me and that therefore there must be something "wrong" with me. The constant daily criticism and cruelty from someone who's supposed to love you, especially as a child, can be devastating. It took me years after this person's death to get over it, and at 26, I'm still fighting ever day to heal these wounds and to see myself as someone of value.

    As both an abuse survivor and a high school teacher who works with teenagers please know this: you are doing ALL the right things.

    1. You are there for your daughter, every day, good times and bad. She knows how much you love her. She knows she is unconditionally loved by her mother. This will make all the difference in the world as she navigates the complicated relationship with her father as well as everything else 14-year-olds already go through. As her mother you are the most important role model and confidante she will ever have, and you are doing all the right things. She is protected and loved and you have absolutely NOT ruined her. Far from it. Take heart that you are a wonderful mom.

    2. I am so, so happy beyond belief that you encourage your children to develop their personalities, speak their minds--respectfully of course!--and teach them that their opinions have real value. So many teenagers and kids get told every day, at home & school, "your opinion means nothing until you're an adult". It's so far from the case, and is terrible for kids to hear. The ones who are encouraged to grow & develop & are told they have value are often the ones who burst into the world with creativity and passion and are actively involved with life. The worst thing parents can do with these matters is encourage apathy in their kids. You are doing the opposite, and you're also teaching them how to handle differences of opinion with grace and civility, something many adults still need to learn!

    In short, please know that you are doing an amazing job. Your kids are very, very lucky to have you. Much love & prayers your way, sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,

    What a profound post today. I will pass on a bit of wisdom that my therapist gave me as I stressed about my two living with a father who we were losing as we watched. And now I am it. I can not do it all. I make my biggest mistakes when I try to be dad and mom. I can only come from the place where my strengths exist.
    That being said, she told me that most of what we learn occurs in our formative years. So when your beautiful daughter was living with both of you, and sadly, you were bearing the brunt of the unkind words and more. You did protect them. Don't lose sight of that.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child of similar circumstances, I can tell you you are doing everything right. You are not and will not ruin your daughter. You guide her and love her and teach her. Keep the faith, she will continue to grow and flourish with your guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You absolutely did the right thing. You are there for her and will always be there for her. She knows that. She deserves to see her mother happy and self-confident. That is a huge, huge lesson in self-worth that you have taught her and are continuing to teach her. To witness abuse IS abuse... so getting out is incredibly helpful and healthy for all of your children. And, honestly, if you were still married as she entered her teen age years, not only would she be witnessing verbal attacks against you, she likely would also be experiencing the same conflictual interactions herself. Teens push buttons and even if your ex kept his criticisms only focussed on you when the kids were little, I doubt it would have stayed that way during times of hormones and attitudes and striving for autonomy.

    Do not doubt yourself. Just keep reinforcing to her (and your boys too) how valued and important they are. Your messages will be remembered, no matter where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your support. This is certainly one of the tougher, if not the toughest parenting issue I've had to face yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you absolutely did the right thing, you know you should never doubt that for a second. If you had stayed, would that not have shown her a more destructive example, that it was okay to be treated like that? You did the only thing you could for you...and for them.
    One day, if not already, R will see how much you sacrificed for them, a true role model for her and her brothers. I wish I had something wise and profound to say about this certain situation but I am at a loss, my heart aches for her...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your leaving this insane situation serves notice to your daughter that women don't have to take this type of abuse. You would take a bullet for her and she knows it. That is why she is reaching out to you now. Stay with her and be strong for her. As soon as age allows she will know the right path to take. It's been traveled down before. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh- thinking of you Jessica. Teenage hormones are so difficult to deal with. And now this on top of it? So sorry. I agree with the other commenters. You can only do your best with love, support, etc. You can't change your ex. My mom hasn't talked to my dad in over 25 years. I have to have 2 separate holidays and my dad has to miss important milestones because of my mom's anger and hatred. My dad and I have a great relationship because we don't discuss my mom and her issues. You can only support your children. You're doing great. I'm sorry and hope things are brighter soon. And the health comment worries me...sending hugs! T

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spent 20 years in a verbally and emotionally abusive marriage that is just now, finally, ending. I stayed as long as I did because I thought I needed to, for the children. What my children really needed was a happy, healthy mother and respite from their father's unpredictable rage. And, sadly, they're learning how to handle angry, controlling men.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your blog some months ago and agin tonite. Remember that parents and kids can celebrate the special holidays anytime , don't be a slave to the calendar. I hope you made it thru April 1st. I enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry- I just made a comment about your Easter holiday. I don't comment a lot, so don't know how to attach my comment to the right entry. I hope you are feeling better, and that your daughter is feeling better too. In time, everyone will figure out how to make it all work. Keep the faith, time really does heal all wounds. I speak from the experience of a divorced mom myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews