Falling Out of the Sky…

This is from a guest blogger who wishes to remain anonymous -


May 20th - 2012 -Last paragraph of a blog saluting our 38th wedding anniversary: “So what makes a marriage last? I can honestly say “I don’t know”. I guess if you’re really, really lucky, someone offers their hand and helps you get through each day, one at a time. And then, before you know it, there are more days behind you than in front of you, and your both still standing….holding hands. That is more than enough for me”

Oct. 11th, 2012 - He let go. Suddenly and unexpectedly he decided that it wasn’t enough anymore and let go of my hand… and me. We had just returned from a long weekend at a seaport in Maryland which was both lovely and romantic, when he came down the following morning and spoke the words that he must have been practicing the whole time we were away.  The whole time we were shopping in quaint shops for ornaments to hang on our tree…the whole time we were sharing crabs and wine in a bayside restaurant, the whole time we were making love and talking about our son’s wedding…the whole time he was planning his departure speech.

I sat in an almost catatonic state hearing phrases like “need some space”, “haven’t been happy for a while”, moving my things into the guest room”. I’m sure there was more said, but those are the words that resonated for days, freezing me in time, leaving me both dazed and nauseous.
I have a friend whose lifelong wish was to skydive. When she finally got the opportunity, she said the most terrifying part was between the time she left the plane and the proper altitude at which she could pull the cord to open the parachute. “You’re in a complete free fall. There is no turning back. There is no changing your mind. You have lost all control of the situation.” I now know that feeling. She felt exhilarated by this. I panicked. I don’t like not being in control and feel like my personal plunge was the result of being pushed out of the plane.

 I have known my husband since I was 13 years old. Since our first encounter, he was the love of my life. I’m 58 now, so do the math. Anyone who knows me well, knows of my affection for this man. We have two great sons and a lifetime of doing almost everything together. Different personalities seemed to work. He is quiet and most of the time I was the only one to hear his thoughts ...until now.

By nature I am both expressive and animated. I can play verbal volleyball with anyone. But that one awful morning, I stood motionless and speechless. I couldn’t even react. We were in our 38th year of marriage and 44th together. I can’t honestly remember a day without him in it. I sat at the kitchen island holding on to my coffee mug as if it were a life raft. He paced before me, and with a sense of excitement, announced that we would put our home up for sale, split the equity and file for divorce. The word “divorce” was dropped like a bomb. The concussion rendered me deaf. I saw his mouth moving but I couldn’t hear the words. Ten minutes later, he left for work.  I stayed in my seat for hours. My marriage and home had been ripped out from under me.

In a three day span I went from a romantic weekend in St. Michaels, to my husband moving into another bedroom, to divorce and the need to find a place to live! Stunned into submission, I kept nodding in agreement. Looking back a few months, “stunned” was a word I used a lot when talking to family and friends. But when someone Tasers your emotions, leaving you writhing on the ground, there is no better word.  “Shocked” doesn’t do it. “Surprised” should be left for unexpected events. Webster’s dictionary describes stunned as “to make senseless, or dazed, like with a blow; or paralyzing astonishment”. Stunned is the right word.

Three months ago we were looking at retirement properties, now we are looking for separate addresses. A therapist described the three stages of divorce as “stunned, hurt, then anger”. I must say, that once I got my footing somewhat, I got to the anger phase rather quickly because staying in the” hurt” phase was toxic. Crying and vomiting, both things I never usually do, consumed my days. I was determined not to linger in that area. You can’t make good decisions when you’re crumbled on the floor in a heap. The irony here is that at a time you, more than ever, need to think for yourself, you can’t think at all. The “hurt” stage is inevitable but you can’t dwell in it and survive.

A tougher situation to overcome is the fact that he has chosen to live in the house until it sells. This could take months. A man, who for the past four decades has entered the house and immediately walked over to kiss me, now comes in as a stranger. He seems so uncomfortable and I realize that this has to be hard for him as well. There is somewhere else he would rather be than here. That is obvious. But I waste no compassion on him…for me, it is harder. I can’t turn off the love for him, so I resolved to dial up the strength.

My attorney once told me that “it takes two people to get married, but only one to get a divorce.” This is so true. You can’t demand that someone stay in love with you, or even stay married to you. And for the partner that doesn’t want it, living in the house with the initiator is torture. The marriage becomes a brain dead patient. It is technically breathing, so you look for some type of life, a movement, a touch, a blink, a glance. Any sign of the life you once knew. The clock ticking on the wall breaks the strained silence with the same rhythm of a heart monitor. All that is left is for the judge to pull the plug.   

Now a few months into this abyss, I realized that time does not heal all, but it does heal. I also realized something else. It would be so easy to crash land after a free fall. The pain you feel would instantly stop. But it takes real courage to pull the chord. To land on your feet and take control back is a monumental victory.
I’ve decided to pull the chord, land softly and move on. I am blessed with a great family and awesome friends. They walk beside me as if I were a four year old learning to ride without the security of training wheels.  I know they’re there, and I love them for it, but this ride is mine. I have to own this journey. ..I have to.



Comments

  1. I was touched by your words. It made me want to cry. Unbelievable how this was sprung on you. My own marriage died a slow death and while it was painful, I had time to adjust. Keep pulling yourself up and taking charge of your journey. You are going to survive and thrive. I pray God blesses you in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..."I don't like not being in control." Makes sense that the quiet man spoke up. He finally took some control of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being out of control is hard and scary... so much in our lives are beyond our control. We can only do what's right for us and just moving forward and have faith that everything will be alright... because I really do believe that in the end everything really will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this the other day. And re-read it a couple of times. It is stunning to have had it happen to you the way it did. It bothered me and I've thought about it on and off since I read it. I am a great blog reader, and always, Jessica's is one of them. Your particular blog made me realize that could have been my "blog" 27 years ago. Although I know your agony in a way, and, yes, it is hell, losing control is not an option for any self-respecting woman. And it sounds as if you're well on the way to moving along. All you need is emotional intelligence, also known as courage. Anger has its place, yes. Still waters run deep. Your husband had obviously spoken with an attorney (unless he is one) and had his plans well in place before your "lovely" weekend. It seems sadistic the way he did it. I have come to the conclusion that some men get to a certain age, and they fear death -- more than a woman -- and they decide to recapture their youth. Just my opinion. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Anonymous... and I will tell you that yes indeed, the writer of this piece is well on her way and she is moving along and in the right direction. I have complete faith that she will end up on top of the world... we all just need to support her, and each other, until she gets there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the writer of this blog, I thank you all for the support. I am heartened to see so many people that this has happened to not just survive, but thrive. I would also like it to be known to the anonymous posting on the "control" issue. I have never to tried to control anyone but myself. The man I was married to for almost 40 years, always had control of his life. But now his actions are controlling mine. That is hard to take. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I disagree... you are in control. 100% and you are showing us this much. He has changed your life... he has thrown a wrench in your life and has changed the way you must now look at the world around you and look into the future but you are very much in control. You may think you are not but you are... and you're doing a great job! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. People can't control us unless we give them the power to do so... there are many things that are beyond our control, health, weather, etc... but we can control how we react and move forward... We just need to find our footing and pace ourselves... baby steps...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how people loose their filter when they can hide behind a cloak of anonymity. Good rule of thumb for all social media users ....if you can not sign your name don"t say it. I am not referring to the author of this blog. When someone's life is being taken down love and support is the only message to send.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty, don't worry about anonymous posters... most anonymous posters are quite polite and there are always naysayers... I find that they too have helped to make me stronger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Reach out to me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Well Loved Notes

Total Pageviews